MISSION OF THE NESCATUNGA ARTS AND HUMANITIES COUNCIL:
To promote greater knowledge and appreciation of the fine arts and humanities and educational purposes, and especially to act, to coordinate and to encourage cultural activities.
Two amateur artists, Hazel Dickson and Berenice Hinton had an idea years ago that developed into the Nescatunga Arts and Humanities Council. In the spring of 1969, Hazel and Berenice held a “County Fair” of art exhibits on the courthouse lawn. Several weeks preceding the fair, paintings of approximately 50 artists were exhibited in the windows of 58 merchants in Alva.
The event was repeated in 1970. This time it was called an “Art Show”. About 50 artists exhibited at this show. In September 1971, a number of interested local citizens met to discuss the possibility of forming a local humanities council. About 30 very enthusiastic persons immediately voted to form the organization. The group chose the name Nescatunga, an Osage Indian word meaning Salt Fork, since Alva was located on the Salt Fork River. In October 1972 the council became incorporated.
As its first project, the council chose to familiarize the community with the historical background of the Runnymede Hotel. The hotel was originally built in Runnymede, Kansas, in 1889 to house English people sent to the United States to learn farming and ranching. The building was moved across Kansas and Oklahoma prairies and rivers to Alva in 1893 where it served as a hotel for many years.
After the Council became active, the members organized a Children’s Art Exhibit and open house at the hotel.
By the mid 1990s the building had become dilapidated from lack of maintenance. After overhearing a conversation telling of a plan to raze the building, a local preservationist, Dale Brown, put into motion a plan to save the building. Her vision for the building was that it could be restored and become a cultural center to the Alva community. Dale was a long time member, and several times president, of the Nescatunga Arts and Humanities Council and saw this group as the appropriate organization to lead the effort to restore the Runnymede to its former glory. The building was purchased by the newly formed Restoration Committee in November 1998. Restoration of the building began in 1999 after receiving a grant from the Morton Share Trust. In July 2004 through 2005 additions to the building were built and a courtyard was added in 2007 along with a mural commissioned by the Alva Mural Society.
The Nescatunga Arts and Humanities Council continues to meet in this historic building on a regular basis and plays host to artistic displays and events for the monthly First Friday Art Walks on the downtown square. The building also is available for rental by contacting Ken Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (580) 327-2467.
The Council also continues to play host to the Nescatunga Arts Festival each year since 1969. The Coronavirus Pandemic / COVID-19 in June 2020 forced the organization to cancel the festival for the first time. It was then planned for November 2021 but also was postponed.
Plans are to continue the Festival in spring 2022 and launch a new event with it - the inaugural Sugar Show.
The Council continues to look for ways to bring art and cultural activities to the area including a recent venture - PopUp Art Displays that can be rented for $10 a week and displayed in the storefronts or inside of local merchants. The displays also can be rented and used for small displays at the arts festival. More info at NescatungaArts@yahoo.com.